[SWLUG] Monday (11-05-2005) meeting venue problem

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Fri Apr 8 16:26:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:13:35 +0100, Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk>
wrote:

> /* Follow-ups to discuss, _not_ announce. Thanks. */
<snip closed cafe>
> This works for the people on IRC at the moment; but will this be
> a problem for anyone else thinking of turning up?

Personally, no. (Woohoo - cheaper beer! :-P )

> One problem is that it will be harder to spot us. People considering
> coming for the first time are welcome (and encouraged) to mail
> either the list or me to say, so that we can find some way of
> recognising each other.

When I came to the first meeting, I don't think I was on the mailing lists
beforehand, so anyone doing that now is likely to be lost/put off. Could a
notice be posted on the door, telling people where to go? As for being
hard to spot, does anyone have a stuffed 'Tux' or something obviously
linuxy what could sit on a table like a homing beacon? So a notice saying
"We're in spoons. Look for the <really obvious thing>!"

> Other than that, is this big pub right next to the Shot in the
> Dark suitable for this Monday? It should be just for the one night.
> "Should" :)

I don't see why not - it'll be quieter on a monday anyway, and being a
'spoons, won't have music playing, and will serve coffees and food.

Just my 2p,

Cheers,

Mark