[SWLUG] Speedtouch USB modems.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Apr 12 10:06:44 UTC 2005

On Thu Apr 07 19:47:47 2005, Phillip Evans wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am thinking of going broadband (probably with pipex) and will be
> connecting with a Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. I believe that
> there are Linux drivers available for this, I currently use
> Mandrake 10 but may switch to Suse 9.2.
>
> Can anyone kinfly point me in the direction of where to get the
> appropriate software and any comments on its use.
>
> All comments gratefully received.

There's an updated pure kernel driver for this that I use, and it
works flawlessly.

Actually, reading about, it looks like it might even be in the kernel
now, as from 2.6.10.

http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/driver.shtml has some details,
although these refer to when it was non-mainstream.

The nice thing about this is that there's no more need for modem_run
et al, making it very nice and easy. Of all the drivers I've used for
the Speedtouch - and I think I've used them all - the usbatm driver
is by far the most painless.

Of course, it's certainly easier to just use a router, but I find
this easier than learning a new router's config.

Dave.