[SWLUG] Re: Ubuntu and USB WiFi and changing distros

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Sun Apr 24 17:32:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:37:53 +0100
Julian Hall <lists at kaotic.co.uk> wrote:

> Rhys Sage wrote:
>
> >Has anybody any advice on changing Linux distros? I
> >have Ubuntu installed. How do I replace Ubuntu with
> >Xandros without losing my data?

-- snip --

> Also you'll find if you have /home on a separate partition
> that X will probably not load at first, as I found out the
> hard way :)  X will think your /home belongs to a different
> user.  The command to fix that (in a shell of course) is:
>
> # chown -R newusername:group /home/oldusername
>
> That gives your new login ownership of the old /home folder.

Or you can use a different username when you create your user
account with the new distro.  Then you will find that you have
two directories in /home, the old one with all your data in (you
hope!) and a new one with configuration files etc that suit the
new distro.  Just copy the data across when you need to.

Good luck

Edward