[SWLUG] Cardiff Gentoo Users

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Fri Aug 12 09:30:46 UTC 2005

Righteeyooh.  Nice of you all to reply.

Running a gentoo-sources 2.6 kernel, did a stage 2 install on a Compaq
Evo N1015v.
Previously run RH9, FC1, 2 & 3 on this laptop without problems.  Few
teething ones with kernel params needed etc for RH9 but as the distros
imporved less and less was needed to get it sorted during install.

Anyway, got Gentoo on and emerged everything I needed (so far).
Got X working - ish.

Main bugs at the moment.  Cannot get a sound card to be detected at
all.  It uses the ALi5145 chipset / driver.
Compiled sound support into the kernel.  with this driver, the base AC97
driver and a Trident one (a web site mentioned the Trident so I included
it).  When booting it loads the ALSA system then simply states no sound
cards located.  - Don't really know where to start debugging this one!

USB.  compiled USB support with uhci and full support for the USB HID
into the kernel but no usb mouse, just my synaptics touch pad.  Thought
this might be an X problem so messed around with that for a while.  Then
though to check dmesg for boot messages.  Turns out no mention at all of
the usb mouse being located and configured.  It finds the USB hubs but
not the device.  Any tips on anything i might have missed in the kernel
config.

General question.  Should I compile everything I need into the kernel or
should I use modules and then load them separately.
I'm used to being able to use lsmod and so on to find out whats claimed
devices but this brings up nothing at the moment as I don;t have any
modules at all.

Cheers for the replies

Kris