[SWLUG] #SWLUG Irc server

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 00:41:35 UTC 2005

On 8/13/05, Dick Bain <dick.bain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its much more fun when we are all together joking and learning. I certainly don't want a schism to develop.

tired rambling...

yeah, the longer it goes on the more it will develop.  i agree it
should be democratic, but at the moment we don't have a reliable way
of gauging user opinion.  perhaps decision making also needs to be
addressed? (i'm just throwing this up for discussion as every so often
someone who shall remain nameless mentions this).

personally, i would have liked our own set of irc servers, with
irc.swlug.org pointing at them, (round robin would have been nice).
from irc i know some of you disagree and would prefer it remain on
public irc networks, etc.  some of you would like to stay on freenode.
others on oftc. etc.

i can see pros for staying on freenode:  familiarity - it's always
been there and so people will think that's where it is.  secondly, the
number of other channels people use on that network.  thirdly, apathy
:)

cons: instability of late, new nick/channel policies, annoying lilo
nonsense (okay, you can kill stuff like that, but still), there are
probably other issues, but as mentioned i'm tired!

pros for oftc: obviously the opposite of freenode.
cons: for me the biggest con is that it's again just another irc
network and will probably fall prey to the same problems given time
(although if we used the irc.swlug.org we could simply redirect it to
another irc network).  it's also an uknown network to me.  again, many
of the opposites.

one amusing thing i've noticed by sitting on two swlug channels is the
confusion it brings to your client, which is why i gave up!

23:05:40 <@towy71> http://tinyurl.com/9a66j is multimap
23:05:46 <@towy71> oops
23:06:28 <@towy71> telsa on other channel

ho hum, off to sleep.  thank heavens there's no irc client there! :)