[SWLUG] #swlug IRC channel location - reasons to move

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 15 13:24:31 UTC 2005

On Mon Aug 15 12:22:54 2005, Pete Prior wrote:
> Maybe this split is a good thing.  It seems to have seperated out
> the people who want to do something in the lug from the people are
> quite happy with sitting back and doing nothing.
>
> Perhaps this split could be applied in ways other than online?

So basically, you're saying that if I don't agree with you, then
therefore I cannot be in the same LUG? Or, alternately, this is yet
another ad hominem argument. I'm not sure which, and I'm not sure it
matters. I'm just trying to provide a counter argument. You were good
enough to construct some form of argument, therefore I will rise to
the occasion and attempt to counter it. I assumed that was, well, the
point of posting in the first place, wasn't it?

> For the record, the people who donate servers "provide the service"
> to the several thousand users.

Yes, indeed they do.

Let's suppose there was a major software project, and that those
people who contributed code had no input into how the software
project as a whole was licensed. They could agree with the license,
or they could simply not take part. Would this be unfair on those who
contribute?

That's all that's happening here, with people contributing resource
to a project. If the server donators (and frankly, they're not
donating servers, but bandwidth, of course) don't want to be part of
the network, nobody is forcing them to. If they do, then great, the
network obviously benefits as a whole. But I wouldn't like to see the
network change because of the views of a small group of people who
happen to have the resources. (Even if I agree with some of their
views).

Bear in mind, also, that the server donators are not the only ones
contributing value to freenode - all the users are arguably
considerably more important as a whole, even thought the resource
they provide the network in monetary - or indirectly monetary - terms
is individually minute.

> I don't see lilo contributing much useful input to the freenode
> network.

Apart from the network itself, of course. Arguably, he also started
OFTC, and all the other IRC networks aiming to be a home for many
projects, since they essentially copy his vision.

I'm sure that Lilo isn't perfect, but the comments made *about* him
seem rather a lot more unpleasant than the comments made *by* him.

Fundamentally, my sole wish with #swlug is, quite simply, to talk to
fellow lug members about matters technical and non-technical, and not
have to worry about the perils of IRC too much. That's all.

If it were down to me, we wouldn't be using IRC at all, incidentally.
It's a really appalling protocol, as anyone who's implemented it can
tell you. (DCC is exceptional in its crassness, mind, but IRC in
general is pretty dire.) Unfortunately, we're stuck with IRC. So
being stuck with IRC, we might as well make the best we can from it.
That, oddly enough, also seems to be Lilo's driving force, which is
why I feel that Freenode is the best choice.

Dave.