[SWLUG] #swlug IRC channel location - reasons to move

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 15 14:12:53 UTC 2005

On Mon Aug 15 14:33:02 2005, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, we're stuck with IRC. So being stuck with IRC, we
>> might as well make the best we can from it. That, oddly enough,
>> also seems to be Lilo's driving force, which is why I feel that
>> Freenode is the best choice.
>
> We are not "stuck" with IRC really - there are other (open, cross
> platform) protocols which will do more or less the same job.  E.g.
> is there any reason why we don't move #swlug to a Jabber conference
> server although I would suggest running our own server since
> jabber.org and jabber.org.uk aren't the most stable in my
> experience).

Ah, yeah, I did raise both XMPP and SILC on the channel, actually. As
Telsa pointed out, the difficulty with both is that they're not
always installed by default on a distribution (although with XMPP's
success, this is changing). New users are more likely to find IRC
than XMPP conferences.

I wish I had the time to even look into some multiprotocol server
that could cope with both XMPP and IRC, since I think that would be
easiest.

Dave.