[SWLUG] Serial terminal echoing(and things)

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Aug 15 15:24:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 04:03:22PM +0100, Steve Anderson wrote:

> [...] I'd like to be able to plug
> a keyboard into the device and see a command prompt on the LCD. Anybody
> tried anything like this before? Is there a simple way to flick this
> sort of thing on and off, so that a seperate process (the one actually
> running the clock) could invoke this as and when needed by me?

Search google for wearable computers - I remember seeing a wearable at
the Linux Bier Wanderung in Coniston back in 2000, with a bash prompt on
a 20x2 LCD display.

Re switching to a terminal when you plug a keyboard in, how about
running screen on the device? That way you can switch between the clock
process and whatever else you want at a keystroke or two. The only
problem I can see is that it won't automagically switch back to the
clock, but you might be able to hack screen to do this.

Gareth