[SWLUG] Serial terminal echoing(and things)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 15 15:52:14 UTC 2005

On Mon Aug 15 16:46:26 2005, Steve Anderson wrote:
> plus shipping on eBay. I need to decide how best to drive it though
> - one of the SF projects is a C library, which means I'd have to
> dust off my exceedingly dusty C knowledge, and the other is a
> program that can display bitmaps on it, so I could prepare the time
> in sections, glue it together in any other language and squirt it
> down the parallel port. Not so elegant but nobody will see it =)
>
> By the way, I'm also open to suggestions on programming languages.
> I'd originally fancied C# in Mono, because it's a skill I could use
> at work as well, or failing that Python. Both languages I fancy
> learning, and this *is* a learning experience.

Python is very useful, very clean, and its ctypes module is an
exceptionally groovy way of interfacing with C libraries without
having to do any weird extension code. I don't know much about C#, so
I can't really compare.

I learnt Python because it looked vaguely interesting, and I'm very
glad I did.

Dave.