[SWLUG] Newbie alert!

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Mon Aug 15 20:10:40 UTC 2005

> Both - primarily, I want to learn Linux (properly - I'd prefer if it was
> vendor neutral), but having gone this far down the road of being a
> tech support professional, I'd like to get  something to show for it.
> One day soon I'll need a job again...

In terms of learning Linux you could do worse than either setting up LFS
(Linux From Scratch) or installing Gentoo by hand. Gentoo now has a beta
installer, but following the Gentoo handbook is a good way to learn a
lot about how it goes together. In the end, though, you can't beat real
life exposure. Make sure you use Linux as your main, ideally only,
desktop; set yourself tasks (eg, set up a mail server, set up a web
server, set up SMTP authentication, set up Samba, set up NFS, set up
Samba using LDAP, set up a firewall, set up ssh keys, set up a VPN, set
up IMAP and POP3 servers - I can provide lots more challenges if you
need them!).

> I've been using Linux on and off since Slackware was a 13 diskette
> download

<wipes nostalgic tear from eye>

I remember that. I remember spending ages (at 9600 baud) downloading
each precious disk, and finally being utterly amazed that I had a
working Unix system for free. That must have been around 1992 or so; I
know it was a pre-V1 kernel. It looked good even then, but I don't think
any of us were prepared for what it would become.

In brief: get the experience followed by the qualifications. For what
it's worth, I have no Linux (paper) qualifications at all, but I make a
living working solely on Linux (well, Windows to a Samba server
sometimes). It can be done.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds