[SWLUG] Re: Newbie alert!

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Aug 16 21:19:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Glenn Booth wrote:

> Are you at Swindon? I have a few friends working there, in the

Nope - I'm at the Fordingbridge office (nice small office - everyone's
very friendly).  Although I am at Swindon tomorrow morning for some
training.

I'm currently working in the Modular Communications Platform Division,
fiddling with SS7 stuff (on the software side) -
http://www.intel.com/go/ss7/  Hopefully I'll get moved onto the SIP
stuff eventually, which is far more interesting and rather less archane
than SS7. :)

> desktop and server motherboard groups. If you come across
> a lanky Llanelli boy called Ian Lloyd, say hi from me. I've spent
> many frustrating hours in the labs there troubleshooting mobo
> and video card problems. At least the coffee is good!

:)

> Slightly aside...
> I heard yesterday that Windows Server 2003 has a few little issues with
> some of the new Intel server boards - to get power management to work,
> you have to tell Windows that the system is a laptop (how ironic!).
> Without power management, they chew about a hundred quids worth
> of power per year, more once you've filled it with discs. RedHat and
> Suse apparently don't suffer the same problems.

Interesting...  I didn't know there was a real difference between the
power management on desktops and laptops - it's all ACPI and
SpeedStep (or whatever they're calling it these days), afterall.

--

  - Steve    XMPP/Jabber: steve at nexusuk.org    Web: http://www.nexusuk.org/