[SWLUG] URPMI woes

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 21:15:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Are there any URPMI experts  around? I'm having a spot of
bother with it.

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 official, and I tried
to change the config so that updates come direct from Mirrors
instead of the install CDs.

I used easyurpmi.zarb.org, and chose mirrors, then did a
urpmi.removemedia -a, then pasted the command lines
from zarb.org  into a command line as root. Then...
it justs sits there and doesn't give me the shell back, even
when left overnight.

If I download an rpm manually and do a command line
install I always get a 'database is locked' message. I tried
removing LOCK and RPMLOCK, and trying again, but still
no joy. What am I doing wrong? I need to install an IRC
client so I can find out what all the fuss is about with two
channels :-)

Thanks,

Glenn.