[SWLUG] OT: hardware question re:cpu purchase

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 23:12:11 UTC 2005

the semprons have half the cache of athlons from what i read and are
restricted to a 333 fsb, the higher athlons have a 400 fsb, it's hard to find
anything definitive but it seems that the 2xxx+ rating is meant to be a
comparison to intel chips of that speed, however the suggestion is that for
athlons the comparison was to p4s while for semprons (being the new amd
budget chip) the comparison is to celerons, of course the newer socket 754
semprons are reckoned to be better being based (apparently) on the athlon 64
core (but restricted to 32bit), i could up to a s754 board and a newer
sempron and later a full athlon 64, but thats another 60 odd squid for a
halfway decent mobo plus the chip

of course i could be very misinformed on this stuff but it seems that an
upgrade from my current xp 2500 (barton) to a sempron won't be getting much
bang for buck, i'd have to move up to a sempron 2800/3000 just to have the
same performance according to some reading i found via google, after that the
semprons seem to be s754

bascule

--
"I don't know, " said the voice on the PA, "apathetic
bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all. "