[SWLUG] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 15, Issue 17

Thu Dec 1 00:01:03 UTC 2005

Phillip Evans wrote:
> Just to go off on a tangent, I am intrigued by the new range of dual
> core processors from both Intel & AMD. Anyone any experience of these
> processors with Linux ? Is the "standard" kernel as supplied with most
> distros capable of taking advantage of a dual-core processor ? Anyone
> working on a kernel optimised for a dual-core processor ?

 From what I understand, so long as the motherboard BIOS supports it
(i.e. you've updated the BIOS on older boards) the system will simply
see it as two 'independent' processors.

Any standard SMP system should be able to make full use of both the
cores. Same goes with quad-core, dual-cpu dual-core systems and quad-cpu
systems - they're all (to the kernel) the same thing.

I think the bigger worry is whether the motherboard chipset is compatible :)

> A kernel tweaked to perform with a dual 3 gig Athlon 64 sounds like
> serious fun.

Oh god - I'd love one - in a Shuttle XPC SN25P case and 3x300Gb
hard-drives in a RAID-5 array! ;) Hehehe. Not greedy at all! :P

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.14-gentoo-r2-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  cat /dev/random (because u never know, u may see something u like)

                                                     ~ Rita Mae Brown