[SWLUG] How to cope with superlarge file

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 20:49:40 UTC 2005

Neil Jones wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Anyone got any ideas on this one.
>I am exploring an idea.  One of the possible options involves
>downloading a .tar file that is around 300 _Giga_ bytes in size.

ouch, big file indeed.  Can you possibly open it at source rather than
download and then open it?  Failing that, it used to be possible to run
2 dialup modems in tandem.  Similar I suppose to Bit Torrent in reverse
in that there's two of you getting one file rather than one from several
sources.  That would save download time. Other than that, maybe setting
up several large disks in the relevant RAID configuration would allow
you to get the file in "one" piece spanned using the RAID?

I've no experience of doing this, but I think in principle the RAID
array may be yoru best option for storing the file.  I don't suppose
there is an index file associated with it?  Nope.. thought not.

Kind regards,

Julian