[SWLUG] Re: Decent alarm program?

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Tue Feb 15 12:29:12 UTC 2005

Kind of:

The X10 computer interface allows a PC to talk to X10 home automation devices:

http://www.habitek.co.uk/Habitek2001EC/itm00379.htm

..is the UK version.  There are several command line linux programs which can
talk to it via the serial port.

http://ppower.sourceforge.net/  for example..

You'd need something capable of switching on an oven though (quite a lot of
current) at the other end though that shouldn't be too difficult.

Webcam's are easy under linux, and you could add things like the a USB
thermometer using the support in 2.6

I'm going to be adding some X10 stuff to the digital photo frame I'm making.
Should be fun when I get a kernel oops :)

Pete