[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Dick Bain dick at towy71.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 18 19:55:04 UTC 2005

Hugh Morris wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I want to start using Linux on a brand-new desktop machine (not yet
> bought). Are there any Linux-savvy PC builders in Cardiff who can build
> me a box and install and configure a Linux OS on it. I'm thinking...
> Debian.
>
> The computer would be a fairly powerful general-purpose machine: ATX
> Midi case, AMD processor, separate graphics card, separate sound card,
> 200GB Hard disk space, re-writable DVD, ethernet, etc.
>
> The new machine would be Linux only (not dual-boot) I intend to get a
> Linksys DSL modem/router and network the new machine with my existing
> Windows 98 one.
>
> I've had very little Linux experience but I don't think I'll have much
> difficulty once I've got an installation up and running.

Hugh
buy a box with ATI or NVIDIA graphics a good soundcard, look
here:http://linuxgamers.net/lsd/hardwaretalk/t1.html
Then boot mepis and install from the desktop shortcut, then update when
you plug into the router, this way you have a fast and painless install
of a debian box
You will have learnt very little but hey it works ;-)
Dick
I only broke older computers, really! ;-)