[SWLUG] Re: Starting with Linux

Michael Parker Michael.Parker at wbs.wales.nhs.uk
Wed Jan 19 12:13:46 UTC 2005

I would echo the views that buying a computer and installing linux from
scratch is the way forward.

Most have a fairly step by step setup wizard type thing and even if not, a
quick google will find numerous install guides.

I also agree that you learn by doing it... (stop tittering at the back) I
mean, recently, I found myself in the position of setting up an email
server, within a week I'd gone from knowing nothing, to having some
understanding of what was going on. Whereas, if someone had set it up for me
and then handed it over, I'd have no idea what was going on or how to fix it
if it broke...

I know novatech have a number of cheap boxes on the market at the moment -
by cheap i mean £250ish - not sure if they would work with linux... (ie if
they have winmodems and the like) but could be worth a look.

Anyway, that is my 2p worth... best of luck

Mikey =)