[SWLUG] Re: Starting with Linux

Tony Pursell tony at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 23:09:46 UTC 2005

I feel I've got to have my 2p of random thoughts about this one.

First thought is that if we look at the really broad picture, we have
got to forget about self-installs and encourage the trade in
pre-installed Linux for the ordinary person in the street.  This is
the only way it will break through into the wider consumer market.  We
have got to make Linux as easy as Windows, which means that it
comes pre-installed and additional software can be installed as easy as
double clicking on a setup.exe.

My experience installing Debian was, I have to admit, less than
satisfactory.  I had a lot of problems with the configuration of X.  I
eventually got it working, only to have my custom configuration file
splatted by the update I did.  Windows update has never done anything
like that to me!  I still don't have sound working.

On the plus side, Ubuntu looks good run from the Live CD.  It really
begins to look the biz.  Something approaching a PC system.  No
problem with X and there is sound!  And its based on Debian!  But it
still doesn't run TaxCalc or Money, so I will still need Windows.
There is a real chicken and egg problem here.  Until use of Linux is
widespread I won't be able to go into W H Smith's and pick up next
year's Tax Calc for it to £25, and until I can, I won't be able to
just use Linux....

'Nuff said for now

Tony Pursell