[SWLUG] RE: Package management

Adam Rykala adam at rykala.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 09:27:18 UTC 2005

Emyr42 . wrote:
> Up to now, this discussion seems to have only been looking at the
> dependencies side of things; When was the last time you installed
> something in windows? It's never a one-click process, but you get far
> more control than with the linux alternatives.

> To conclude:
> *What I want added to Linux installers: *
> Decent Intro screen
> Options instead of multiple packages.

Whatever for? Intro screens are eye-candy at best. With both MDK and
SuSe (one's with which I'm most familar) - the YaST and Urpmi give full
details of what the package is.

No offence, but this is a Window's-ism I can live without.  By doing so,
you're basically killing off package management and turning to the MSI
model, which is frankly horrible.

Options instead of multiple packages VASTLY increases package size. Pity
the poor sod on dialup who'd want to upgrade KDE in that case. At least
now they can do it piecemeal, whereas with this method its download a
200+ MB rpm to upgrade parts (for instance, they might want to keep the
old version of Kontact, for whatever reason)

	/Adam Rykala/
/adam at rykala.demon.co.uk/
	/A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but
won't cross the street to vote in a national election.
-- Bill Vaughan
/