[SWLUG] Cannot start konqueror - Mandrake 10.1

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Jan 24 09:59:28 UTC 2005

Dear All

I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 as a way of solving a load of issues with Win4Lin.  Its later
kernel should be better supported.

However before I embarked on another labourious installation technical adventure with Win4Lin I checked
Internet access and mounting to make sure everything was OK.

Lo and behold Konqueror would not start, neither for web nor file browsing.  I can get Internet access
via other browsers.

I have e-mailed Mandrake tech support who replied that I should install all types (Security, Bugfixes,
Normal) of updates via Mandrake Control Centre (MCC). I set about this task and ran into even more
problems.  One package is corrupted.
"The following packages have bad signatures: kdebase-kcontrol-nsplugins-3.2.3-134.4.101.mdk.i586.rpm.
Missing signature (Couldn't open the file) Do you want to continue?".

I have installed most of the 210 updates by selecting smalll groups whose dependencies do not include
the corrupted file.

When I first started MCC I had to specify a mirror site (ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakelinux/official/updates) that I wanted to use.  Subsequent uses of MCC do not allow me to
change this mirror site.  Well not that I can see.

Mandrake tech support are slow to respond to the updated situation and I am a little frustrated.

Does anyone out there know of a quick way to fix konqueror or to redirect MCC to another mirror site
which might not have a corrupted package.

Yours in terminal desperation

Stephen the untechnical(Swansea, Wales, UK)

For your edification and delight the uninstalled packages are:
kdebase-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-common-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-kate-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-printfax-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-kdm-config.file-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-kmenuedit-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-konsole-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-nsplugins-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
kdebase-progs-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
libkdebase4-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
libkdebase4-kate-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
libkdebase4-kate-devel-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
libkdebase4-kmenuedit-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk
libkdebase4-konsole-3.2.3.134.4.101mdk