[SWLUG] mandrake is C**P

Lee Westlake lee_westlake at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 18:50:50 UTC 2005

I'd recommend trying Fedora linux. I am a programmer
not a sys-admin, but with this particular system I
managed to set-up a WWW/E-Mail/SSH/NFS/Samba server in
just a couple of days.

As I am comfortable with the unix environment, yet
possess precious little knowledge pertaining to its
configuration, I really wanted a quick and easy
solution that wasn't going to cost the earth.

Every piece of harware, including several external USB
backup devices, installed painlessly without the need
for additional drivers or kernel compilation.

Don't get me wrong, if you're new to the scene,
configuring a unix system takes a little effort and
alot of perserverance!

Newbie Unix Tip #1 : If you spend just a little time
familiarising yourself with the basics, the experts
will be all too willing to bail you out.  Trust me,
these guys are fantastic, but it's imperative you
aquire a firm grasp of their language!

Cheers, Lee.