[SWLUG] Wow, seen this on Slashdot?

Adam Rykala adam at rykala.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 11:50:30 UTC 2005

peter wrote:

> I see where you're coming from Adam; and agree with most of most of
> what you say.  However, I do have to say also that MS have come up
> with a really impressive development environment in .NET.  Couple that
> with Visual Studio and you have a combination capable of creating
> secure, n-Tier, distributed applications with a facility that I
> haven't yet found with any Open Source product.
>
> What's more, with mono, these applications can be cross-platform.
>
> The only competition that I'm aware of is Java (J2EE) - and at least
> half the F/OSS community appear to have taken an oath never to allow
> anything  connected with Java ever to darken their HDD segments.
>
> If anyone knows of any competing environments, I'd be very happy to
> hear about it - especially since I'm likely to be writing a paper on
> the subject next autumn.
>
> Sorry, I've started rambling.  If anyone decides they'd like to
> discuss this I'll try to make myself clearer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

My main argument is that MS really have no business commenting on
security, and by throwing that comment in with security blows apart any
credibility they have for development whatsoever.

I don't bother with graphical development, and apart from the Fortran
stuff I do ... the last programming I did was almost a decade ago. Hence
why I didn't say too much. That said tho, I don't own a Windows box at
all here and really have no incentive too, so perhaps that coulors my
feelings ;-)

Hence I can't argue with "Couple that with Visual Studio and you have a
combination capable of creating secure, n-Tier, distributed applications
with a facility that I haven't yet found with any Open Source product."
apart from the fact that you're running them on an intrinsically
insecure platform ....

	/Adam Rykala/
/adam at rykala.demon.co.uk/
	/Bare feet magnetize sharp metal objects so they point upward from the
floor -- especially in the dark.
/