[SWLUG] Not seeing the Code for the IDE

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Sun Jan 30 20:22:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 19:42 +0000, peter wrote:
> The emphasis here is on "n-Tier" and "distributed" in respect of the
>  lack of F/OSS choices.  These things require a huge amount of
>  ready-prepared infrastructure - of plumbing, if you like.  It's also
>  why an IDE is so useful.  Remembering the exact method calls and all
>  their overloads in these massive code libraries is not something to
>  take lightly.  And learning every nuance of how a particular compiler
>  works in order to put it all together is also something that simply
>  drains productivity.

I don't know what you mean by "n-Tier", so I can't comment on that.
However, I write C# code in emacs, use makefiles, and debug with gdb.
(I'm part of the mono team at Ximian.)

As far as I can tell, the two useful parts of an IDE are the editor, and
the documentation.  I've never yet found an inbuilt editor that comes
close to vi or emacs, and the microsoft documentation usually sucks
anyway :-(

I've seen the borland IDE demoed with it automatically grabbing WSDL and
generating classes, and that looked very nice.  I still can't see it
being useful for day-to-day work once that particular interface has been
completed.  In general I feel these sort of IDEs hide too much of what
is going on behind the scenes, which is fine when it all goes well; but
as soon as you need to start delving in with a debugger it just gets in
the way.

- Dick