[SWLUG] This list

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 15:02:00 UTC 2005

Pete Prior wrote:

> Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
>> This list is starting to sound like a kids playground. Maybe I'm a
>> grumpy old man, but do we need such contributions as the homophobic
>> analysis and "how do I turn my PC on"?
>

> Point taken.  The homophobic analysis stemmed from an inappropriate
> email which
>
> a) shouldn't have been posted in the first place
> b) seems to have pissed off quite a few list members

Didn't read it as I had no way to get to the Swansea BBQ (I'm guessing
that's where it appeared), so I deleted them all unread.  Having said
that I am disabled and as a member of a "minority" group in that sense I
take a dim view of such comments.  Homosexuals (of either sex) can no
more help their situation than I can, being born to disability.  If you
*must* treat them differently, and I see no reason to myself, treat them
as you would a disabled person.

> The second post I have no idea about.  First time poster it would seem
> - I doubt it will happen again.

I've also seen it at work on several occasions when some donut forgot to
lock down his/her workstation.  People took advantage to send daft emails.

>> I'd prefer this list to focus on Linux and related matters.
>

> It normally does.  Like I said.  A particularly unacceptable email
> caused a strong reaction in this case.

So that's case closed then and back to Linux?  Yay! :)

Kind regards,

Julian