[SWLUG] UKUUG conference in Swansea, 4-7 Aug 2005

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jun 22 06:18:11 UTC 2005

It just occurred to me that these things can completely pass people
by until too late ("what, there was a conference? Here?"), so I'll
mention it before I forget.

The UK Unix Users Group has annual conferences which are held in
different places each year. A lot of Linux developers go, and you
can learn quite a bit from the talks if you are of a technical
bent. Whilst some of the talks are showcase for shiny new features,
(for example, there is a Vim Feature Show on the programme), the
focus is generally on the hacking that put those features there
(on the same programme there is a kernel talk on "Adopting a driver:
from fixing typos to breaking thousands of machines worldwide")

This year, they're coming to Swansea at the start of August.
Expect an influx of hackers.

Details at http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2005/

As far as I know, you need to register in advance for UKUUG. I
don't know whether you can just turn up on the day and pay or not.

Incidentally, I am already getting a number of "Hi, remember me?
Where can I stay for cheap in Swansea?" emails. I can't put all
the authors up. If anyone has a spare floor in Swansea (or further
out, but transport is a bit of an issue then), I'm sure they will
become very popular with travelling hackers.

Telsa