[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:15:17 UTC 2005

phil at trig222.f9.co.uk wrote:

>Are we heading for the same problems again with USB ADSL modems?

Deeper problems.  Anyone who has tried to get an Alcatel Speedtouch to
play with an early VIA chipset will tell you that.  They don't even like
the hardware they're attached to sometimes and that's *with* Windows
drivers.  Oh and some idiot designed the early Alcatels to suck up *all*
the available power from the USB socket - 500mA, so most people found
they wouldn't work unless they had a powered hub and sometimes not even
that worked.  Predictably iMacs with the keyboard and mouse run off USB
choked on sight.  Thankfully the newer Alcatels are better designed.
I'd still hold my breath though.

With Linux modules it's anyone's guess.  Having said that, the laptop I
mentioned earlier *crashes* in Windows when I try to install the PCMCIA
driver from the manufacturer's website.  At least it works in Linux
(albeit a bit flaky at the moment).

So I think the jury is out, pending how good Linux support is.

Kind regards,

Julian