[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Wed Mar 2 15:00:59 UTC 2005

Steve Hill wrote:

>> They are probably the biggest obstacle to trying linux for many who
>> are curious.
>

> A more recent problem is probably getting more important...  1 word:
> "Wireless".

Not really IMHO.. Wireless cards tend to be hardware at least (no
softwireless cards).. most work with Linux drivers and those that don't
usually work with the ndiswrapper stuff (like my usb wifi adapter) so
you an use the vendors windows drivers under Linux.

The main problem are centrino based laptops, but with the IPW2100/2200
stuff they work out of the box in decent modern distros like ubuntu.

Pete