[SWLUG] Giving up Windows

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Thu Mar 3 09:31:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:07 +0000, Steve Hill wrote:
> You can suck the MPEG data off a DVD with mencoder, but it isn't exactly a
> friendly way to do editing.

Perhaps it's just the way my brain is working these days, but I found
video editing in Windows much harder than using mencoder. I once tried
Adobe Premier but after 6 hours of getting no where I rebooted and did
what I wanted in 30 minutes with mencoder.

I've done several large video edits using mencoder, the gimp and some
command line imaging tools to splice together and do funky effects like
fade outs etc for videos that have been up to 30 minutes long.

As far as GUI based editing goes I've tried out cinelerra without much
success due to the fact that I hated the interface, kino was okay for
some things and if I remember correctly avidemux was really nice.

Phil