[SWLUG] Giving up Windows

Fri Mar 4 21:45:13 UTC 2005

Steve Hill wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Gerald Davies wrote:
>
>> I was looking for such stuff on Sunday, but didn't put too much effort
>> in.  I wanted to compress an avi, convert it to mpeg, etc, etc.  I
>> guess dvd-writing is a no-brainer (?), but its making a DVD video that
>> i have no experience of on Linux or *BSD
>

> Transcoding is reasonably easy from the commandline if you don't want to
> do any editing - mencoder, transcode or ffmpeg should do the job (I have
> had mixed results with ffmpeg - sometimes the sound goes out of sync).

Seconded. I've had alot of good times with transcoder when I used to
convert downloaded videos onto DVD to let my parents see all the new
stuff from America (I've got a Kiss DVD player now, so it'll just play
them natively - thank god! :)

However, the only downside is you've got to know what you're doing, and
you really do have to RTFM. There is alot of power in transcode, and it
can be overwhelming in how you try and access it. This is the command
line I use to convert NTSC downloaded divxs/xvids to PAL DVD format:

# transcode -i inputfile.avi -V -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -w 9000 -F 8,"-4 1 -2
1 -f 9 -F 3 -r 24 -a 3" -Z 720x576 -E 48000 -b 224 -o outputfile
--export_asr 3 --import_asr 3 --print_status 10,1 --export_fps 0,3 -J
fps -x mplayer,mplayer && mplex -f 7 -o outputfile.mpg outputfile.a2v
outputfile.mpa

--
Jonathan Wright <mail at djnauk dot co dot uk>
   Life has no meaning unless we can enjoy what we've been given