[SWLUG] NTL Cable modem problems in MDK10.0 install

Marcus Davage marcusdavage at onetel.com
Mon Mar 7 10:53:28 UTC 2005

Hi, all.

I'm trying to convert a friend, who's built his own PC, from XP to Linux. So
far, his experience with installing Mandrake 10.0 (the only version I had to
lend him) has been good, except that he says he can't connect to the internet.
He has an NTL cable modem. I've never had a problem downloading support for my
ISA linmodem, but he's not a techie, and I've never used cable modems before.
I'm trying hard to prevent him from crossing over to the dark side, but he
thinks he needs XP to access the net. I thought the Mandrake installation
wizard detected modems like that, but I doesn't think it has.

Can anyone who has experience please suggest some questions/solutions I can
ask/recommend to him?

Thanks very much.

Marcus