[SWLUG] NTL Cable modem problems in MDK10.0 install

Mon Mar 7 12:10:16 UTC 2005

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Mon,  7 Mar 2005 10:53:28 +0000
> Marcus Davage <marcusdavage at onetel.com> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone who has experience please suggest some questions/solutions I
>>can ask/recommend to him?
>

> Unless I'm mistaken, the NTL cable modem simply provides an Ethernet
> connection locally so all he needs to do is ensure that the default gateway
> on the Linux system is correct. Does the modem provide a DHCP service (most
> do)? Some pinging and examination of "ip route" and "ipconfig" should point
> the way here.

Also, NTL modems can be a bit finicky about the network card they use.
Your friend said he was building a new PC - if he's changed the network
card, then that could be the problem.

I've usually found that just resetting the modem (taking the power out
for 30 seconds or more) will be fine. It takes the new address on boot
up and then sticks with that.

Failing that, he'll have to run the online setup configuration. I can't
remember the URL, but a quick search on google will probably give something.

Also, if his IP address in the top-end of the subset (I think around
.245+), then their servers/modem aren't accepting the new card and he'll
need to re-run the setup aswell (same URL).

Aside from that, it should work with linux like a dream! :D Well, a damn
site better than ADSL does! :)

--
Jonathan Wright <mail at djnauk dot co dot uk>
   Life has no meaning unless we can enjoy what we've been given