[SWLUG] Fwd: [Fsfe-uk] Welsh Language Board consultation on IT and the Welsh Language

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 23:19:24 UTC 2005

This got forwarded to me by a friend.
I thought others would find it interesting.

Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Welsh Language Board consultation on IT and the Welsh
Language
Date: Tuesday 08 March 2005 14:29
From: Kevin Donnelly <kevin at dotmon.com>
To: affs-project at affs.org.uk
Cc: fsfe-uk at gnu.org

The Welsh Language Board, the body officially charged with promoting the
 Welsh language in Wales, has (partly as a result of various volunteer
 efforts on the FOSS front over the last two years) launched a consultation
 exercise on a strategy for Welsh in the IT field.

The relevant webpage is at:
http://snipurl.com/wlbstrategy
and the most important document is probably the strategy document itself,
although the standards document is also relevant.

There are many serious shortcomings in the strategy document (for example, it
does not mention "Linux" anywhere; it equates "open-source" in the English
text with "meddalwedd rhydd" (free software) in the Welsh text; it makes no
reference to the superior font- and language-handling of the GNOME and KDE
desktops; and so on).  At least OpenOffice is mentioned, but apparently only
in its MicrosoftWindows guise.

As an official strategy, it is likely that this will help shape policy over
the next few years, and it would be unfortunate if that policy were
formulated in such a way that it places FOSS at a disadvantage.

I am writing some comments on the strategy document, although how far they
will be taken on board in the final version is hard to say.  If anyone on
this list has the time to read over the WLB's strategy document, I would be
interested in any points they have, which I can work into my own document.

The closing date for consultation input is Thursday 31 March, so input in the
next week would be useful.  You can email me directly rather than cluttering
up the list.

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly