[SWLUG] HELP for the terminally brain dead

Plod plod57 at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 12 15:10:55 UTC 2005

At least that is the way I feel!

I have succeeded in installing and configuring the internet on my Mandrake
Linux box, and got it to share the connection with my windows machines.

But that is as far as I have got.

I have tried and tried to set the Linux box as a server and provide hard
drive access to the windows PC for archiving etc, and to access the windows
pcs from the Linux box.  But every how to I follow does not work.  Am I
doing something wrong?  Probably!  Do I have a clue what it is?  NO!

Is there anyone out there who can come and SHOW me how to do it and manage
it at my home?  Linux is the way to go, but boys is it frustrating.

I have followed various how tos already, all the same, but different if you
know what I mean.  I suspect something about my local architecture is wrong.

Maybe SAMBA doesn't run from the start?  Although I am sure that I said it
should when I set the machine up.  Perhaps the firewall is blocking any
accesses?  Err possible, but I have searched and searched in Mandrake and
cannot find a way of controlling it.  I can find the on and off, I think,
although nothing seems to change when I do it!

I do not make it along to meetings too often as I work abroad.  Can someone
please help?

Paul