[SWLUG] Re: Run from CD Linux

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 14:44:15 UTC 2005

Thanks for the suggestions but sadly none seem to work
so far.

I followed Pete's photos of writing an ISO image with
Nero (I have Nero 5) and got as far as opening the ISO
file, after which none of the window photos applied. I
guess it's a different version of Nero. I had another
go using Nero 5 on my own and got into that stupid
loop of opening an ISO file and only being allowed to
write it to the desktop as an NRG file then opening
the NRG file and only being permitted to write the NRG
file to the desktop, overwriting the previous copy of
the NRG file. It's just an endless loop.

I followed Rhys Jones suggestion on writing ISO files
and found a very nice utility that claimed to write
ISO files straight to CD. That couldn't even identify
my CD writer.

I double-clicked the ISO file as per Tony's suggestion
and up came Sonic (which didn't have a clue what to do
with ISO files) so I reassigned the extension to Nero
and tried again. Same problem - Nero went into the
writing endless NRG files again.

It seems that once again I am thwarted by Windows
software. I would love to do so many things on the
computer but there just seems to be so much software
out there that just plain doesn't work. I guess I'm
going to have to use a hardware solution to rescue the
data on one PC - if I can get a USB caddy over the
counter here.