[SWLUG] wireless card

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 01:03:59 UTC 2005

Dick Bain wrote:

> I have been given a Sitecom card by my son, his new laptop has
> wireless built in, but neither mepis nor ubuntu pick it up!

Hi Dick,

Before you bin the card make sure lspci will see it.  After the hassles
I had getting mine to work I'd lay odds that the PCMCIA controller isn't
set-up properly by Linux.  By some accounts (and my own experience) it
isn't by default in 2.6.x kernels.  It's no doubt a Cardbus card and the
memory addresses for those are not configured in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
, you have to set them yourself.

Check this url, http://www1.uop.edu/~khughes/presario-r3120us/#pcmcia
and see if it correlates with your problem.  BTW what card is it?  Are
you using MADWifi or NDISWrapper to run it?

Kind regards,

Julian