[SWLUG] How do I check operation of DNS system.

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 19:50:25 UTC 2005

I have finally taken the plunge and I am renting a server for my websites.
I am in the process of transfering them over but I am having some problems
with set up.

I have set up named.conf and a zone file for one of the domains and named is
running.

I have my secondary DNS else where.

However when I try to enter the primary DNS with my Domain registrar
Godady.com I get "Unavailable error in field Host name".

Now researching this with google finds someone who has emailed Godaddy about
this problem and

Got the following answer
 "GoDaddy.com limits the transfer of domain names handled by us to
unrecognized domain name servers in order to protect our customers interests.
Please contact your server administrator in order to have these name servers
registered with Verisign and to update the status on these DNS servers."

I am going to contact Godaddy myself because I find this baffling and there is
nothing on Verisign's website. (  have googled it) that makes anysense in
relation to this.
Given that I am using my own brand new nameserver for primary DNS
I seem to be in a catch 22.

However before I contact Godaddy. I want first of all to know if there is
anyway to validate the DNS settings to ensure that they are correct.
I don't want them telling me "oh the problem is on the nameserver".
I have managed a server with hundreds of domains on it and I designed a
bespoke DNS configuration system for it and I have based the setting on this
so I am fairly confident, but I am a little uncertain of how you check the
settings are actually working. Everything seems fine but I just don't trust
Bind

Secondly does this busines of registering nameservers make sense to anyone.
When ever I google I get information on how to change the nameservers on a
domain I know how to do that it is a trivial exercise It is just that Godaddy
doesn't seem to recognise the name of the new nameserver.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk