[SWLUG] How do I check operation of DNS system.

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 15:02:32 UTC 2005

On 16 Mar, Neil Jones wrote:
> I have finally taken the plunge and I am renting a server for my websites.
> I am in the process of transfering them over but I am having some problems
> with set up.
>
> I have set up named.conf and a zone file for one of the domains and named is
> running.
>
> I have my secondary DNS else where.

You need to get your IP address registered as a legitimate nameserver if
you want to directly name it in the root records.

An easier way around this is to get a couple of secondaries that are
already registered, have them slave the records off your server, but
then only list the secondaries in the root records.

That way you avoid having to get yourself registered, but still get to
be in direct control of the dns contents.

Getting yourself registered can usually be done via your original domain
registrar, or istr there used to be some forms to do it on network
solutions website.