[SWLUG] Motorola SB5100 cable modem

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 15:46:51 UTC 2005

On 23 Mar, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I've an interesting situation here.
>
> I have several PCs running various assorted operating
> systems. (Yes. the Dell is now working again).
>
> I'd like to share the broadband connection between all
> of the various PCs. As 802.11g equipment is dirt cheap
> in the US (especially after the infamous rebates) I'm
> thinking of putting a hub/switch straight onto the
> cable modem. Thereby hangs a problem - it's a USB
> cable modem. I believe all wifi eq has RJ45
> connectors. Any suggestions?

Throw the usb adsl modem in the bin, they are worthless.

go out and buy any of the zillion or so adsl routers that are on the
market, they have an adsl modem in them, give you 1 to 4 ethernet ports,
the option of WiFi, and will do NAT and other things for you so you can
connect multiple machines of any operating system you like and the
configuration is done via a web browser.

Maplins sell appropriate devices from about 40 ukp and up (thats without
wifi) price goes up as you add different flavours of wifi.