[SWLUG] Re: Motorola SB5100 cable modem

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 00:38:01 UTC 2005

Rhys Sage wrote:

>the domestic mobile phone runs at
>2.4ghz. I gather that's the same frequency as the
>802.11g wifi network.

Oops and yes that is the frequency for *cordless* phones in the USA
802.11b & g both use 2.4Ghz.  I don't know what effect a corded phone
would have, I exect it would depend on the quality of the wiring and any
shielding.  Also some mobile phone networks use the same frequency.
This is one option:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hc2458-200.php

Albeit an expensive one for what it does.  This link gives good info on
WiFi standards:

http://www.elcard.fi/standards.htm

Lots of good info on this one but not much on domestic telephone issues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_white_paper09186a00801d61a3.shtml

Obviously lots of people in the US use WiFi so how do they get around
it?  What is the shielding like on the phone lines?

In the USA the information I found says the frequency is between 2400
and 2483.5 (same as UK).  I don't know if this width gives enough
variance to miss the phone frequency.  I'd assume so or the USA would
use a different frequency, as Japan has.

Kind regards,

Julian