[SWLUG] New Member

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri May 13 00:12:36 UTC 2005

Gerald Davies wrote:

>as a newbie i would stick with mandrake, but you'll find those that
>disagree.

Until recently I would have agreed.  However I recently installed
Xandros which is Debian based, but very easy to install despite that.
You basically get the Mandrake ease of install, but the Debian package
update mechanism (DEB not RPM like Mandrake).  I had Mandrake about 2
years but I'm warming to Xandros.  Another thing that is good (for
ex-Windows users anyway) is that the File Manager has a very Windows way
of displaying drives.

>  its horses for courses with these unix-like distros.

Very true.

>  every
>so often you'll find trends shifting towards a different new kid on
>the block (not the pop group - damn, now thats stuck in my head).

I think there's an ointment for that ;)

Cheers,

Julian