[SWLUG] Help with system problems 1

Wed Nov 2 13:12:14 UTC 2005

linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:
> At boot up. If I have't shutdown properly, which I cannot do at present, I have an extra Linux hard disk which is hdc1 I think. The system insists on checking it on boot up which takes an age.
>
> What do I need to set to stop this. I am using windows to send this which is pretty awful.

If it's checking it on every boot then it may be a non-journaling file
system (probably ext2). If an partition isn't unmounted cleanly then the
system will have to perform an integrity check on the whole drive to
look for any possible errors (this is still done on ext3, but the
journal tells the system where/what was last accessed and what was going
on, so it's a lot quicker).

What is the contents of the /etc/fstab file?

--
  Jonathan Wright
   ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
   ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
--
  2.6.13-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  cat /dev/random (because u never know, u may see something u like)

  "This is what's wrong with the media," I said. "You show  a  fringe
  position. You show one point of view. You're closing the  minds  of
  the people by not showing them what the reality is." I got  up  and
  walked out, and I've never been asked back again."

                                                     ~ Kathleen Nolan