[SWLUG] Last night

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 22:26:52 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:50:14PM -0400 or thereabouts, Mark Henderson wrote:
> > Telsa Wrote:
> > > It was so good that I forgot to pay for my meal, to my shame. I
> > > went back there today to pay, but I was a little taken aback to
> > > discover that the outstanding bill for our table was £40. It seems
> > > that I was not the only one to forget to pay.
> > >
> > > I have settled the lot now, but I'd be interested to know who had
> > > the rump steak (very well done)/brandy sauce/chips; the chicken
> > > escallop/chips; the sausages (Neil, was that you?); the calamares;
> > > and the garlic prawns.
> >
> > That will have been myself, Neil, Chris and Andy. We actually paid,
> > but it looks like they forgot to note that on the bill....
>
> Seriously? I don't suppose you paid by card and kept the receipt,
> did you? If I just paid again for something you paid for already,
> I shall be irked.

Regrettably, it was a handful of notes and a great pile of coins
amassed between four of us.  ISTR the bill as a whole was £40.  We
assumed that the bar staff would have enough gumption to check what we
had given them and mark off the items we had pointed out and paid for
(being in a hurry for the train somewhat frustrates this).  Evidently
we overestimated their abilities.

In the absence of any paperwork, you can always ask them if they found
an irregularity of around £30 on their tills that day (they should
have some records, though whether they'll confirm or deny this is
another matter ...)  Of course, being a regular customer, I imagine
you would get something back as a sweetener.

Sorry if the train-bound hooligans have caused you a problem,

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities