[SWLUG] gigabit ethernet cards for linux

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Oct 16 22:41:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Glenn Booth wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a gigabit ethernet PCI card that has decent linux
> driver support on 2.6 kernels?

The Intel Etherexpress 1000 seems to work well.

> I've spent most of this evening wrestling with a Realtek 8169 based
> PCI card, and I've had no joy. I can compile the module ok, but I keep
> getting errors when loading the module - it seems I'm not alone,

Don't bother with the 8169 - we had them at my old work because the bosses
were too cheap to get decent cards (which was daft since we were supposed
to be using them for load-testing gigabit systems).  My experience of the
8169 is that it causes massive instabilities under load (not sure if this
is the driver or the hardware at fault but I could reliably get any
machine in the office with an 8169 card to hard lock up by trying to
saturate the gigabit network).

--

  - Steve