[SWLUG] linux newbie

smokin smokinjoe at cwgsy.net
Sat Sep 3 03:27:21 UTC 2005

Hi Gavin,

On the dual boot front, the presence of an NTFS partition does not
affect the booting of linux.
There are a couple of issues I can think of:

1. NTFS write support in Linux kernel is not complete, so if you want to
get at your NTFS files from linux, you can, but they will be 'read only'.

2. If Xp currently takes up the whole disk (and you want to use only one
disk) you will have to resize the NTFS partition, which could be the
painful bit.

I'm dual booting Gentoo & XpPro on one disk at the mo, without issue.

I haven't used Ubuntu, but the process will be similar. Have a read of
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot, see if you can visualise the
process, then search the ubuntu docs for how the process might be
achieved with ubuntu.

It indicates some of the choices you'll have to make ie:
One hard disk or two?
Which OS to install first?
How to boot it when ur done?

The way I did it, was to back up all important stuff, then start from a
blank disk. Partition first, then Windows, then Linux. There is nothing
like wiping a hard drive to focus the mind ;) I wouldn't necessarily
recommend that method tho....

The most fun thing about that method was finding out all the crazy
places that programs put their data on windows, what was important, and
what was not. The second most fun thing was finding out what I'd
forgotten to back up... after the event. Make good backups!

Guinness (standard temperature) for me.

Cheers now,
Joe