[SWLUG] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3, 8)

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Sat Apr 1 13:26:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:51:20PM +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> Peter Prior wrote:
>
> > Try booting the kernel with the "noresume" kernel option and see if
> > it boots successfully.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  How do I do that please?  I don't get any
> prompt anywhere that would allow to to choose any options, or type
> anything in.

To interrupt LILO before it boots the kernel, you need to hit Ctrl (I
think Alt or Shift will also work
Using LILO (sorry, from memory, I've not used LILO in a while) you need
to hit Ctrl when you see LILO. You should see a boot: prompt. Now enter:

  linux noresume

or whichever other parameters you need to enter.