[SWLUG] BBC climate model

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 08:22:08 UTC 2006

On 02/04/06, brent <brent.heard at ic24.net> wrote:

> Hi James,
> thanks for responding.
>
> I'm pleased to hear that it ran without problems albeit rather
> slowly.  Can
> you recall if you ran the model through the transition end of Feb beyond
> beginning of March. In each case my model failed at the start of the
> month.
> Also you did not give me your system profile (Linux distro, kernel, kde,
> hardware)
>
> It was much the same for me I have been running the model 24/7 since 10
> March
> on my machine it progresses by about 1% every 25hrs - that is at best 3
> months to completion at that rate. And no way was I likely to continue at
> that rate.  The indicated completion date by the manager application
> itself
> reported Feb, 2007.
>
> Makes you wonder what auntie beeb is playing at, doesn't it?
>
> Brent

It's not actually a BBC program - they're just getting involved in
publicising the results. AFAIK the (TV) programme in May is just an update,
not the deadline. I don't think there is a deadline as such.

I ran it in Windows a couple of years ago and it took ages - purely because
of the amount of data it's processing. I don't recall any problems around
the turn of the month, but the software's probably been updated several
times since I ran it.

Cheers,
Neil.