[SWLUG] Printing problems

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 20:38:40 UTC 2006

On 13/04/06, Julian Hall <lists at kaotic.co.uk> wrote:

> I now know what the problem is.... resolving it is another matter.
>
> Permissions.  As you know ./setup has to be run as root.  The problem
> with *that* is that having setup the printer as root, now the
> *bleep*ing thing won't print for anyone *BUT* root.  I've never had
> this problem before, so any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I'm assuming
> it's me.. it usually is ;)

Is there a group for printing? That's how Ubuntu works for access to CD
writers, modems, scanners, etc. I think CUPS might do the same.

The "groups" command shows all the groups that your user is currently in.
The useradd/adduser/usermod commands can change what supplemental groups
you're in, but I've found that "groups" doesn't show the change until a
reboot.

HTH. Hwyl,
Neil.