[SWLUG] php-5.1.2 where the hell?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Aug 1 15:51:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 16:44 +0100, neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > yum search php
> > will tell you which repository it finds a package in as well as what
> > version, so you can be sure your not going to get it from somewhere
> > strange.
>
> I had already tried yum. I should have said. There is no trace of it on the box!

yum isnt just handy to install new packages, its how you would normally
get your security updates, so it would be a good idea to grab and
install it. the standard yum package also includes a cron job to check
for you every night (chkconfig yum on) to enable it.

> > check in /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo to see if the [centosplus]
> > section has been disabled (enabled=0) and enable it to get the extra
> > stuff that wasnt in rhel.
>
> The directory doesn't exist on this box. What I am trying is downloading it from  Centosplus manually and installing it.
again, its something that will be created when you install yum.
the files in that directory tell it where to get updates and new
packages from.