[SWLUG] Just a thought - [well.. two thoughts actually]

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 07:47:11 UTC 2006

On 12/08/06, Ace Ironballs <ace_ironballs at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I wonder if anybody could recommend a simple linux OS. The reason i ask is.. I installed Ubuntu 6 on my old computer and I don't think my computer is up to the job of running this OS.. I then tried puppy linux and had a really quick and responsive [and impressive] linux OS on disc - The picture was stable and the response to commands very quick - I know puppy only uses RAM and is very basic. I just wondered if any of you could recommend a not too demanding Linux OS that would breathe new life into my old 8 Gb computer. I have been buying random Linux OS off ebay and i don't seem to be getting anywhere very fast - So i thought i'd consult you guys before i buy another.
> Also i would be very grateful if any of you guys could recommend a modem router that is easy for using a Linux OS - [cheaper the better]
>
> I'd really appreciate a shove in the right direction - Many  thanks
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I haven't used Xubuntu, but I've heard good things about it. I use Ubuntu 6.

What type of modem connection are you looking for? I assume it's
broadband if you want a router combination. I use the Linksys WAG354G
- it was a piece of cake to set up and has only crashed once in 6
months (and only then because the connection from the ISP was dodgy, I
think). I have the wireless turned off at the moment, but it's there
for expansion if I need it.

I think you can get them online for about £40 at the moment, or that
sort of price anyway.

Cheers,
Neil.